Tuesday, April 15, 2008

My English is good???

That is not the first time for me to ask myself. However i have met few people who have given me assurance to my English proficiency. I am still doubtful with what they said. Am i as good as they said?

The first person who gave me such meaning is a female patient. As i needed to go to her room often,i had more time to talk to her. For each time we chat, we talked in English. That situation lasted for few times until one day, she asked me: are you Chinese?

I replied: of course, i am a pure Chinese! Why ? Am i looked like Malay or else? In order to show that i am a Chinese boy, i translated those words above in Chinese.

She then replied:nolah...i just wonder you talk English like those graduated from English school...

I replied with a shock:no, i came from Chinese school!!!

The second person that i met was a English lecturer.

He is such a friendly man who possesses a great sense of humor. He used to tell me a lot of jokes in his life and share his experience with me. I was so blessed that i had the chance to get lecture from him. He also told me that my English proficiency is even better than those he mentioned.

The third person i met was an engineer who did teach English language in High school.

He is another funny guy who comes with jokes every time. We have chances to talk to each other as i needed to carry out treatments for him. He once asked me:which school you come from?

I answered him:i came from a Chinese school, sir.

He also replied with a shock: you came from Chinese school? But you can speak English well! Your English level is considered good!

I wondered:is it true?

He kept asking:do you speak English at home? Or your parents are English educated?

I replied honestly:no, sir. Both my parents are not highly educated. I don't speak English with my parents.

I still feel that my English level is low compared to other people. There are spaces for me to improve. But, anyway, thanks for their assurance which has added up my confidence towards myself.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Haha, keep up with it. There are rooms for improvement, that there are. Well, English can only be improved if we keep on the practice. And yeah, just don't be too surprised if somebody said that your English is bad but you feel that your own English is, otherwise, sucks. This condition happens to me as well. Anyways we can't put the blame on our school right?